Terminating the Entelechy SDI-12 cable for extending Enviropro soil moisture sensor cables requires following specific procedures to ensure proper installation and reliable connections.
When terminating the Entelechy cable, it is recommended to use bootlace ferrules instead of directly terminating the bare conductors into the IP68 terminal points. This approach avoids crushing, deforming, and potential breakage of the individual conductors over time.
- Bootlace ferrule crimper capable of crimping 0.5mm² ferrules. (e.g. https://rhinotools.com.au/product/bootlaceferrule-crimping-kit/);
- Bootlace ferrules suitable for 0.5mm² wires. (e.g. https://rhinotools.com.au/product/bootlace-ferrules-05mm1000/);
- Wiring stripping tool capable of stripping small gauge wire (not for crimping ferrules). (e.g. https://rhinotools.com.au/product/pa-05-wirestripper-crimper/).
To properly terminate the cable, follow the recommended procedures outlined below:
1. Prior to stripping the conductors, place the required joiner parts onto the cable as per the instructions provided with the joiners. This prevents any damage to the conductors during the threading process.
2. Carefully strip back 22mm of the black outer insulation of the cable.
3. Strip 10mm of insulation from each of the colored wires. The yellow conductor can be cut back flush with the black outer insulation, as it will not be required.
4. Ensure you have the correct jaws selected on your crimping tool. It must be suitable for crimping 0.5mm2 ferrules.
5. Place the bootlace ferrule carefully over the conductor, ensuring that the conductor is fully inserted into the ferrule and that no strands are bent or frayed in the process.
6. Use the bootlace ferrule crimper to crimp the ferrule onto the conductor. Apply even pressure to ensure a solid crimp across the entire length of the ferrule.
Give the ferrule a slight tug to ensure it is securely attached to the conductor. It should not come loose or slide off.
7. Repeat this process for each conductor, ensuring that all conductors have their respective ferrules attached.
8. With the ferrules in place, insert each ferrule into the appropriate terminal point of the IP68 joiner, following the pinout as specified in the instructions provided with the joiner.
Once the ferrules are correctly positioned, tighten the clamp on the IP68 joiner to secure the ferrules in place. Make sure the joiner is tightly closed to ensure a reliable connection.
9. Once you have successfully terminated one cable, repeat the entire process for the other cable following the same steps outlined above. This ensures both cables are properly terminated with bootlace ferrules, providing secure and reliable connections.
10. After terminating both cables, proceed to screw all the components together as per the supplied installation instructions. Follow the instructions carefully to ensure proper assembly and alignment of the joiner components.
By completing these steps for each cable and properly securing all the components together, you can ensure a robust and reliable connection for your IP68 joiner.