In this step-by-step guide, we will walk you through the process of disassembling and reassembling the VP4 sensor, including removing the middle bracket and disassembling the gills.
Before we begin, please note that newer versions of the VP4 may not include the middle bracket. However, if your VP4 does have it, we will show you how to remove it efficiently.
For visual guidance and a better understanding of the assembly process, there is a detailed video below that you can check out and watch alongside the instructions.
Removing the Middle Bracket:
- Unscrew the plastic wing nut on the inside of the VP4.
- Hold your finger in place to prevent the valve from falling out.
- Remove the valve and set it aside.
- Twist the VP4 to create more space for accessing the screws.
- Using a suitable screwdriver, loosen the screws on the bracket until it is detached.
- The middle bracket is not required if you are connecting the VP4 to a mounting bracket. You can dispose of the bracket responsibly.
Reassembling the VP4:
- Twist the VP4 back to its original position.
- Align the first hole on the VP4 with the corresponding hole on the bracket.
- Insert the screw through the aligned holes, ensuring they are securely connected.
- Attach the wing nut to the screw, tightening it with your fingers. It does not need to be excessively tight since it is made of plastic.
Disassembling and Reassembling the Gills:
- Remove the wing nut from the VP4.
- Carefully pull out the gills from the VP4.
- Separate the main metal bracket from the gills.
- Identify the top gill with a smaller hole and no in-line feature.
- Place the top gill at the highest position on the VP4.
- All the gills in between are identical and should be placed accordingly.
- The VP4 sensor is covered by a white shield to reduce sunlight interference.
- If needed, use the slit on the last gill to clear the cable and push it through.
- Ensure the cable is not tangled and properly inserted through the gills.
- Put the gills back together by starting with the two end pieces.
- Carefully slide the cable through the correct hole in the end piece.
- Align the gills and the bracket by inserting the bolts diagonally.
- Repeat the process until all the gills and the bracket are properly connected.
- Finger-tighten the wing nuts on the opposite side to secure the gills in place.
Now you can mount it onto the bracket and begin using it for your data collection.
For any questions regarding this or assistance with The Yield's apps, please contact The Yield Support team via the contact details provided in How can I get in touch with The Yield's Support Team.